IKLAN HEADER

Pan-Seared Filet Mignon with Garlic & Herb Butter Recipe

Pan sear filet mignon in a cast iron skillet once and you will NEVER grill it again, I promise. I wish I discovered this method a lot sooner, it’s simple enough and locks in all of the favors. There are plenty of ways to cook filet mignon but this is by far my favorite. If you go out to a nice steakhouse then this is most likely the method they are using to cook your filet. High heat and real butter.


How to Cook the Perfect Filet Mignon

The secret to cooking the perfect pan-seared filet mignon is to combine pan searing with an oven finish. This gives you a slightly crusted outside with a juicy tender inside.

I’ve tried cooking strictly on the stove top for 6-7 minutes per side, but I feel like it tends to overcook the steak and sometimes burns the outside of your filet. The oven is better at providing indirect heat while searing gives you the much desired, grilled and slightly charred edge.


The stovetop and oven method is tried and true. Sear filets 2 minutes per side on the stove top in a cast iron skillet on high heat with butter or olive oil and then immediately transfer to preheated oven at 415° F. I typically bake about 6 minutes for medium rare. That’s the beauty of cast iron, you can easily transfer from stove top to oven. If you don’t have one, I highly recommend picking one up. They are very versatile and can be used for so many different recipes. Here is the one I have.


Carefully timing your cook time for steak always yields consistent results. It may sound like overkill, but I use my phone to time each side on the skillet and then in the oven. If you really adhere to cook times I promise you will never overcook steak again. Which for me was always incredibly disappointing after all my hard work. Just like when you cut into your steak and it’s colorless and grey? Yeah you killed it again, Shawn.

Season filet mignon with salt and pepper heavily. This is the only thing I put on my steaks. Filet’s are such a flavorful and tender cut, I don’t think you need anything else.


Pan-Seared Filet Mignon with Garlic & Herb Butter Recipe

PREP TIME:  10 MINS COOK TIME:  10 MINS TOTAL TIME:  20 MINS
SERVES: 4

INGREDIENTS :

4 10 OUNCE THICK TENDERLOIN BEEF FILETS
2 TABLESPOONS EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
2 TABLESPOONS BUTTER
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE

GARLIC & HERB BUTTER :

½ STICK BUTTER
1 TABLESPOON CHOPPED FRESH ROSEMARY
1 TABLESPOON CHOPPED FRESH TARRAGON
½ TABLESPOON MINCED GARLIC